Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Ranged Creep

"REBROADCAST" killing twitch streamers

The recent trend of major casting channels to show rebroadcasts of the previous night's games during the day, is drying up the pool of available viewers to split between the other streamers. there has always seemed to be 10-15k viewers total, watching dota2 streams, and that number has gone up a little in recent times, but when you see 25k viewers watching dota2, and 15-20k of those are split between v1lat, tobi and any other caster, streaming rebroadcasted videos, it causes streamers, including big name players who already have successful streams, to struggle for viewers. (unless you're dendi, who can cruise above 10k viewers while messing around in a pub) I have spoken to a couple of successful streamers who are having difficulty because of this, and was surprised at how much their viewership and revenue had dropped, as I have not discussed this thread with them I wont give out names.

While I understand the accessibility for countries not in the European Time zones to watch these games at other hours that suit them better, I do not think it is fair to other streamers when you are hogging the viewer pool for up to 16 hours a day, running an 8hour cast and then 8hour rebroadcast for example. Obviously there are multiple people doing it, so I am not here to ask tobi to stop immediately, because the problem will still be there. What I WOULD like to do, is try to raise the awareness of people, that by watching rebroadcast streams over live streamers, you are making it much, much harder for all of them, there are ways you could help, whether you choose not to watch rebroadcasts, or just turn off your adblockers, or subscribe to channels when watching livestreams in future, so your time spent watching them is actually benefitting them, for providing the service to you.

Thanks all, and sorry for the wall of text I guess, but I felt it needed to be said

EDIT: can I just add, before this goes further, that I understand both tobi and v1lat, and their respective organisations, provide a lot of funding and awareness of dota2 to the public, so my complaint is not about them being undeserving or intentionally taking viewers from other streamers, just looking for some form of solution to the current problem.
    Last edited by KKmn; 03-25-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Doesnt people choose form their own taste, what is best and entertain them the most?
    If you wanna beat the rebroadcasts you simply have to be better and more interesting, in some way.

Wildkin
    Steam ID
    mimisbr

i looooooooooooooooove, to see people new in e-sports streams, ALL games have rebroadcast, u must be very new about streams, rebroadcast is the best stuff ever, people say that u can see the vod from the games but for some reason some vods have problems like too slow to charge or some stuff like that.
    If you are a good streamer, and you are doing a good job you don't care so much about "competition", i love rebroadcasts, sc2 have the best casters and use rebroadcasts since ever, stop this hate for careless shit, people who complain about anything is killing streamers, i bet you cry so hard in twitch chat that got timeout everytime
    Run, You fools!!!!

Banned

It is the streamers responsibility to interest viewers, if there is something they would rather watch (re-broadcasts etc) they need to improve themselves, competition is never bad.

Ranged Creep

As both of the first two replies apparently failed to fathom the point I was making, I'm not going to get into an argument with you, and #2 starting a reply with flame responses is pathetic, why bother replying at all.

to boxxr, I understand where you're coming from, but it feels to me less like competition, and more like, for example, coca cola moving a factory onto a small island and killing off local business (maybe not the best analogy, clearly, but feels similar) I get that the streamers need to lift their game if theyre not happy with their viewers, but there is also the mass viewer problem, where people come online, see many people in a tournament stream, watch that, and never give others a chance to impress. I am merely suggesting that people (when they do watch livestreams, not recordings) turn off adblock or subscribe in order to help the streamers.
    Last edited by KKmn; 03-25-2013 at 10:19 PM.

If I knew which one is just a rebroadcast then I wouldn't watch it.

rebroadcasts just need to be propely labelled and no one will watch them ;]

Ranged Creep

Quote Originally Posted by Adunai View Post
    If I knew which one is just a rebroadcast then I wouldn't watch it.

rebroadcasts just need to be propely labelled and no one will watch them ;]
    Generally, the major streamers, eg: tobi and v1lat have their stream titles set to "REBROADCAST: ___" so I have not come across that problem, though i guess because you need to manually edit stream title maybe sometimes it is forgotten or takes time to show on the twitch browsing page.

clee1013

Honestly restream is kinda dumb.... upload replays and people can just choose to watch through vods, replay vods are there for a reason. but as far as op goes, if people chooses to watch restream over vods?? most likely they aren't going to watch the gamers stream because most of those people have no interest in them first place.
    Last edited by clee1013; 03-25-2013 at 10:25 PM.

Wildkin

If people choose to watch a rebroadcast instead of a live stream then they probably don't like the streamer, for example i don't know if everyone does this but when i like a streamer i open that stream in a tab with the lowest quality and muted even if i don't watch him so i at least give him 1 more viewer, but that is my personal choice because i like a streamer or multiple streamers.

i dont watch rebroadcasts why not just watch the vod it saves me time and i can just fastforward or pause or whatever so rebroadcasts might aswell dissapear if its hurting other streamers in my opinion.