Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Darpeherp

Joindota suppressing our opinion

http://forum.gamesports.net/dota/sho...ll=1#post70572

Closing threads and trying to hush us down.
    It's like a dictatorship in here.

Ranged Creep

Quote Originally Posted by Darpeherp View Post
    http://forum.gamesports.net/dota/sho...ll=1#post70572

Closing threads and trying to hush us down.
    It's like a dictatorship in here.
    People were starting to flame and post racist comments on that, it was off topic and it's still there for people to read. Bad troll is bad?
    trolololololololol

go report United Nations

Senior Creep

Might aswell drop this here (before this topic gets closed aswell), was about to post it on the other topic before it got closed:
    Quote Originally Posted by TobiWanKenobi View Post
    no, it is not ok, that is rage combined with sing sing jokes to create a completely inappropriate comment which I am sorry for making.

I am actually not racist, just like I make jokes about how I wish Sing Sing to rape me is also not true, that are exactly that, jokes --- this one, not a funny or appropriate one.
    It's ok Tobi. It's not like you are dropping racist jokes during your casts or something. While racist comments are always out of place, I doubt any of the people who watch Sing's stream regularly would get seriously offended by a comment like that. It is just a bunch of whiny haters getting all worked up because it was actually you doing it, doubt anyone would have really cared if Sing would have dropped a single racist joke bitween his penis drawing and "deer raping".

supressing opinions would mean a completely delete of the thread, original post is left up.

These threads get closed due to the offensive nature of comments that come in them, it was enough having the original inspiration for the thread.

Of course if it goes that way in this thread, same thing happens
    YOUR FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SHOUT CASTER!

You know you can delete those comments right? That technology is there.

Let the thread be opened and just censor unconstructive posts. Right now it only makes you look bad by trying to hush it up.

---

A great post from reddit:

"The DotA pub community (and additionally the HoN and LoL communities) is rife with racism. Players engage in casual racism, use racial slurs over voice chat or insult the other team (or their own teammates) textually with words like this all the time. This is nothing new and should be common knowledge for anyone who's been involved in pretty much any amount of public games.

One however would expect the premier Dota 2 caster, and one of the pillars of the community, to adhere to a higher standard than the lowest of the game's public players. For me, the comment was offensive, but moreover the way that Tobi explained it off with the quote "people just don't understand rage" and did not deign to apologize for it was even more telling. He seemed to know his comment was not appropriate but perhaps didn't grasp the full impact of what he'd said.

Tobi obviously has a lot of fans, and his commentary is delivered with an impressive level of hype and energy that brings new fans into the game. He also clearly tries to present himself professionally, from his cast, to his website, to his association with Valve and recent visit to their offices. It's that last part I would be concerned about were I in Tobi's shoes.

Many comments here seem to imply that this isn't a big deal -- but if Dota 2 is to be perceived as a professional esport, a racist remark in a public matchmaking game from the foremost caster, who is himself working very closely with the game's creators and principal sponsors, reflects extremely badly in my opinion. It creates an image of Tobi as not a professional but rather just a typical member of a bad community -- a community that Valve have been very vocal about their intentions to clean up ( http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...ore-in-dota-2/ ).

In sum I think this is absolutely a big deal, and it would be in Tobi's best interest to issue a public apology and admission of wrongdoing immediately."

- http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/commen...ptable/c4nde56

Senior Creep
    Steam ID
    kevingato

The one who has never insulted, made a racist comment or anything like that in THEIR ENTIRE GAMING LIFE, please, throw the first stun.

Senior Creep
    Steam ID
    TheDragonsBalls

Quote Originally Posted by NickO View Post
    Let the thread be opened and just censor unconstructive posts. Right now it only makes you look bad by trying to hush it up.

---

A great post from reddit:

"The DotA pub community (and additionally the HoN and LoL communities) is rife with racism. Players engage in casual racism, use racial slurs over voice chat or insult the other team (or their own teammates) textually with words like this all the time. This is nothing new and should be common knowledge for anyone who's been involved in pretty much any amount of public games.

One however would expect the premier Dota 2 caster, and one of the pillars of the community, to adhere to a higher standard than the lowest of the game's public players. For me, the comment was offensive, but moreover the way that Tobi explained it off with the quote "people just don't understand rage" and did not deign to apologize for it was even more telling. He seemed to know his comment was not appropriate but perhaps didn't grasp the full impact of what he'd said.

Tobi obviously has a lot of fans, and his commentary is delivered with an impressive level of hype and energy that brings new fans into the game. He also clearly tries to present himself professionally, from his cast, to his website, to his association with Valve and recent visit to their offices. It's that last part I would be concerned about were I in Tobi's shoes.

Many comments here seem to imply that this isn't a big deal -- but if Dota 2 is to be perceived as a professional esport, a racist remark in a public matchmaking game from the foremost caster, who is himself working very closely with the game's creators and principal sponsors, reflects extremely badly in my opinion. It creates an image of Tobi as not a professional but rather just a typical member of a bad community -- a community that Valve have been very vocal about their intentions to clean up ( http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...ore-in-dota-2/ ).

In sum I think this is absolutely a big deal, and it would be in Tobi's best interest to issue a public apology and admission of wrongdoing immediately."

- http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/commen...ptable/c4nde56
    As much as it pains me to say, I have to agree. I don't think a public apology is necessary, but when one of the major faces of the scene says something racist, it really reflects negatively on the whole community. So I'd have to say that it'd definitely be better if people like Tobi stay away from comments that could be interpreted as racist (the usually comments of idiot, noob, piece of sh!t etc. are still fine haha)

If you take a look at what's been happening in the SC2 community recently, several players have had their careers majorly damaged. Orb, an upcoming caster, and Destiny, a pro player, both had to leave their teams because somebody took their "racism" (not real racism, just using the terms) way too seriously. So it'd definitely be better to have casters/pro-gamers stay away from this kind of language to prevent negative consequences, especially this early in the game's development.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHypnoToad View Post
    one day you will realize that most people are as dumb as a potato, then you will stop wondering.

Oh please - anyone who knows Tobi or has watched his stream more than ONCE should know BEYOND doubt that Tobi is anything BUT racist. The reason we love him is because of his bubbly, outward, all-loving personality in the first place. This is a one time thing for Tobi he made a single comment with no *intentional* negative intent, while on spur of the moment, while playing with the most obnoxious and hilarious player who uses racial slurs not only to describe his enemies, his allies, but also himself to create a comedic laid-back atmosphere.

That being said, I don't ever expect Tobi to slip-up like this again, even used in jest, because today has made him realize really how big of a community figure he actually is, and how what he does can easily be dissected under a microscope.

Ask yourself the question "Is tobi racist?" and if your reply is yes, you clearly haven't watched him enough. If you're making a big deal out of this, go attack someone else. Tobi has been a great community figurehead and great for not only the development of DotA2 but Dota1 as well. The backlash has been great - eye opening for Tobi, like I said and some was probably needed. Pressing the issue any more than that is just looking to create trouble - nothing positive will come of it.

Just thought I'd give my .02 cents to clear this mess up.